To Request Counseling Support or Life Balance Services Access Now

Employee FAQs

Question and answer primer for employees.

General Questions

What services does Concern offer?

In addition to counseling services for employees and their dependents, Concern offers practical information and assistance for managing life events, including

  1. Parenting and Childcare Referrals
  2. Adult Care Resources
  3. Legal Consultations
  4. Financial Coaching

For detailed descriptions of each of these services, please go to our Life Balance Services section.

How do I access the services?

All services are accessible by calling our toll-free number 800-344-4222. You can call anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or submit an online Request for Services form.

How do I know if my company offers Concern?

Employers provide the Concern employee wellbeing program as a benefit for employees and their dependents. If you are unsure whether Concern is provided through your employer or you need specific information about Concern, contact your HR department, check your intranet benefits web page, or call Concern at 800-344-4222.

What do the services cost? Are there any associated fees?

Concern's counseling and referral services are confidential and free of charge to eligible employees of organizations who offer Concern's services. Your benefits department can provide you with information about the services available to you.

After a referral is made, you may be responsible for fees associated with programs you've selected. For example, if you contact Concern for a referral to childcare services, once you select a childcare provider, you are responsible for the fees associated with enrolling your child in that childcare program.

Are the services confidential?

Yes. Concern is a confidential and voluntary program. Concern will not disclose information regarding your involvement in the Concern program without your written consent, unless permitted or required by law.

How do I use Concern's Life Balance Services?

If you need help with parenting, adult care support, legal or financial issues and much more, call Concern’s toll-free number 800-344-4222, and a referral specialist will assist you. You will be transferred immediately to a consultant who can help you with your questions.

Is there an online member resource center?

Yes. LifeAdviser, is our online member resource center available 24/7 for you and your family members. Simply go to and login with your company code provided to you by your HR department.

You can access LifeAdviser from the Employee Guide section of the website. Once there, you will find a wealth of educational information that includes articles, streaming videos, risk assessments, online trainings for personal and professional development, and much more.

What is the Language Assistance Program (LAP)?

Certain rights and services are available to members, free of charge. These rights and services apply to language assistance in seeking counseling services. Click here to access more information about the Language Assistance Program.

Questions about counseling

How do I know whether counseling is for me?

Everyone experiences periods of conflict, stress, and sadness. So it may be hard to know if it’s time to see a professional. You might start by asking yourself a few questions: Are you feeling overwhelmed? Do you constantly worry? Do you find you can't resolve conflicts with your spouse or partner? Are you having trouble communicating with your child? Are you using a substance to cope? Do you repeatedly experience the same type of problem with more than one person? Have friends or family members commented on changes in your behavior or moods? Are you easily irritated or upset?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might benefit from speaking with a counselor.

What is counseling like?

When you meet with a Concern counselor, you'll find yourself in a comfortable, friendly setting. The counselor will help you formulate a practical approach to resolving your problem. In the process, you'll develop strategies for handling future problems on your own.

Who are the counselors?

Concern counselors are experienced licensed clinicians who can assist you with a wide variety of problems. They have degrees in psychology, social work or counseling, with at least five years of clinical experience. You can meet with a Concern counselor near your home or work.

What does "short-term" counseling mean?

Concern counselors provide short-term counseling. This means that, in a limited number of counseling sessions, you and your counselor will agree on a realistic goal and then work together to accomplish that goal.

How soon can I been seen by a Concern counselor?

Regular appointments usually can be arranged within 3 to 5 business days of your first call to Concern. In urgent situations, you'll be able to speak immediately by phone with a counselor. Urgent appointments can usually be arranged within 24 to 48 hours of your first call.

How do I schedule an appointment to see a counselor in my area?

Just call Concern's toll-free number 800-344-4222. One of our referral specialists will speak with you and give you the name, address and telephone number of a Concern counselor near your home or work.

If you prefer, we will immediately transfer you to the counselor’s private office, or you may phone the counselor yourself to schedule an appointment at your convenience.

Chat With Us
Human Resources Today